Takeshi Hosaka exhibition at Budweis House of Art, Czech Republic

Japanese architect Takeshi Hosaka's new exhibition, entitled 'Kuusou' just opened
Japanese architect Takeshi Hosaka's new exhibition, entitled 'Kuusou' just opened at the House of Art in Budweis, Czech Republic
(Image credit: press)

On show at the House of Art (opens in new tab) in the Czech Republic's city of Budweis is a new exhibition featuring the work of Japanese architect Takeshi Hosaka, entitled 'Kuusou' (Japanese for 'imaginations').

Sponsored by Japanese construction products manufacturer Sika (opens in new tab), the delicately designed exhibition focuses on Hosaka's design process, displaying a wealth of sketches and conceptual hand drawings that reveal a previously unseen side of the Japanese architect's work.

The show will be on site until early May and visitors will be able to enjoy a candid look into a selection of Hosaka's most successful projects such as his House in Byobugaura in Kanagawa and his Room Room House in Tokyo. The guest is invited to wander through the clouds of sketches hanging from the ceiling and to rest on Hosaka's Moon chair, in order to immerse themselves into the architect's imaginings.

'I always sketch when creating architectural design, and 99% of those sketches end up as unsuccessful attempts,' says Hosaka. 'Yet, I discover wonderful things in the remaining 1%. 99% of my "Kuusou" are failed attempts, but even so, I decided to make those sketches float and have everyone walk though them.'

'Kuusou', which means 'imaginations' in Japanese, presents a selection of the architect's concept

'Kuusou', which means 'imaginations' in Japanese, presents a selection of the architect's concept drawings and hand-drawn sketches

(Image credit: press)

The guest is invited to wander through the clouds of sketches hanging from the ceiling and to rest

The guest is invited to wander through the clouds of sketches hanging from the ceiling and to rest on Hosaka's Moon chair, in order to immerse themselves into the architect's imaginings 

(Image credit: press)

Sketches in the exhibition represent a selection of Hosaka's projects and offers an interesting

Sketches in the exhibition represent a selection of Hosaka's projects and offers an interesting new viewpoint to the architect's work 

(Image credit: press)

Hosaka's House in Byobugaura in Kanagawa

Hosaka's House in Byobugaura in Kanagawa is one the practice's latest projects

(Image credit: press)

The interior of Hosaka's House in Byobugaura features

The interior of Hosaka's House in Byobugaura features a distinctive curved timber floor

(Image credit: press)

Another of Hosaka's projects, the Daylight House in Yokohama

Another of Hosaka's projects, the Daylight House in Yokohama, Kanagawa, was designed in 2011 

(Image credit: press)

A series of skylights filter plenty of natural light into Daylight

A series of skylights filter plenty of natural light into Daylight House's main living areas 

(Image credit: press)

Restaurant Hoto Fudo was designed by Hosaka

Restaurant Hoto Fudo was designed by Hosaka on the foot of Mt Fuji in Japan

(Image credit: press)

The restaurant only uses natural ventilation - and it is often open-air - and features soft geometries

The restaurant only uses natural ventilation - and it is often open-air - and features soft geometries and simple, open-plan interiors

(Image credit: press)

Outside In House was designed by Hosaka for a family

Outside In House was designed by Hosaka for a family of five in Yamanashi

(Image credit: press)

Completed in 2011, the architect's aim for Outside In House

Completed in 2011, the architect's aim for Outside In House was to bring the garden into the house 

(Image credit: press)

This two-storey house in Tokyo was designed by Hosaka for a deaf couple and their children

This two-storey house in Tokyo was designed by Hosaka for a deaf couple and their children

(Image credit: press)

The house's many openings allow the couple to communicate visually

The house's many openings allow the couple to communicate visually with their children even when they are playing outside 

(Image credit: press)

ADDRESS

Dům Umění České Budějovice / House of Art
Namesti Premysla Otakara 38
Ceske Budejovice / Budweis 
Czech Republic 

View Google Maps (opens in new tab)

Ellie Stathaki is the Architecture Editor at Wallpaper*. She trained as an architect at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece and studied architectural history at the Bartlett in London. Now an established journalist, she has been a member of the Wallpaper* team since 2006, visiting buildings across the globe and interviewing leading architects such as Tadao Ando and Rem Koolhaas. Ellie has also taken part in judging panels, moderated events, curated shows and contributed in books, such as The Contemporary House (Thames & Hudson, 2018) and Glenn Sestig Architecture Diary (2020).