El Pintón — Seville, Spain
One look at this building within the heart of Seville, is enough to know that history lurks behind each crumbling corner. Located a few steps away from the Cathedral - the third largest church in the world - the landmark Peyré building, a former textile warehouse, was originally built in 1790 and refurbished in 1919 by regional architect Aníbal González.
Its latest incarnation is El Pintón, the city’s newest tapas and cocktail bar. Tasked for the overhaul, Madrid-based designers Cristina Domínguez Lucas and Fernando Hernández-Gil have showered the restaurant in their signature fresh aesthetic, enhancing the building’s original bones; a central light-filled indoor courtyard - that makes up the main dining room - is filled with plants and trees, while bespoke wood and metal furnishings in yellows, blues and greens blend with the colours of the traditional Sevillian tiles found in one of the other eating areas. ‘The various spaces articulate around the courtyard that sits at the heart of the restaurant which blurs the lines between interior and exterior,” say the architects. ‘We have reinforced this ambiguity by placing in this central room a serious of plants.’
Bizarrely, food by chef Javier Carmona is and eclectic update on typical tapas fare with a mix of Mediterranean notes and some Asian options thrown in for good measure. Expect tasty ham and mustard croquettes, yaki udon Iberian pork noodles and french toast brioche with dulce de leche to finish.