Military History Museum, Dresden
The centrepiece of Libeskind's redesign of the Military History Museum is a hulking five-storey, 200 tonne wedge of glass, concrete and steel that thrusts up through the middle of the original building built in 1897. At the crest of the wedge is a 99 ft high viewing platform that's angled towards the drop zone of the bombs that flattened Dresden in the Second World War. The orientation is a conscious meditation on the city's immediate past which Libeskind insists is 'central to the transformation of the city today', adding that 'the destruction of Europe and European cities by the Nazis is part of the story of the destruction of Dresden. One cannot separate the Shoah and the museums that deal with memories from the history of Germany and Dresden.'
Completion: October 2011
Image: © Bitter Bredt, courtesy of Studio Daniel Libeskind